Sunday, September 13, 2009

Home again, and a great weekend here

Our last blog told you about my good visit with my high school classmates of 40 years ago, and our joyous surprise party for my Mom's 85th birthday. This week she called me to thank us again, and asked me to put up her post-birthday statement. So here you go:

"To all my tricky relatives and friends:

Now that I’ve got my breath back, I would like to give my utmost thanks. I was truly surprised. It was great to see all of you, but I’m still waiting to go to the restaurant!"

Betty Neill


It was a grand party, and her note really tops it off for us.

Two days day after the party, we flew to Seattle and stayed overnight for my third Avastin treatment. I also had a couple of pretty thorough interviews with doctors at Virginia Mason on Monday, and am waiting to read copies of their reports. We flew home that evening, and were once again overjoyed to be there with Kona and the cats Maxie and Minnie.

The rest of the week went pretty well, though the weather was pretty typical southeast Alaska events. That is...lots of rain. Saturday and Sunday were nice, though, and I got to go fishing with my friend Dave. We headed out of Knudsen Cove about 7:00 am, right at high tide, and dropped herring just outside the bay, and almost immediately began catching big cohos. I caught two, and Dave caught four during the course of the morning, and happily returned to the dock with half a limit of gorgeous, big salmon. I can't begin to tell you how much fun a simple fishing trip was, after my summer, and how great it is to have fresh fish again! Then today Faith and I went a mile down the road with Kona and spent a couple of hours picking red huckleberries for her jam projects.

It is so good to be able to return to our normal life style. I will continue treatments for another 11 months, and then tests will determine what needs still exist and I will determine which way to go...but for now, life is returning to "normal", and I am feeling and doing much better every week.

We hope life is going well for each of you, and thank you again for your help, support, conversations, comments and care.

Dennis & Faith

1 comment:

PamelaJ said...

Thank you Dennis for your optimism all these months. Your courage has been an inspiration. Good job with the coho fishing, we are only catching crab here.
Saw Ed Nesselroad last week at the National Retiree Reunion. He looked good and was busy with his radio program and reading books for the blind. It was an interesting week, listening to stories from the 1950's and 60's of working in Alaska. Teresa captured some of them in video histories.